Pro Helvetia covers up to 100% of the effective translation costs for literary works by Swiss authors (fiction and poetry), books for children and teenagers (where they may cover part of the licensing fees), non-fiction books by Swiss authors on cultural and and artistic topics pertaining to Switzerland, and plays by Swiss dramatists (including surtitles).
- up to 100% of the effective translation costs for literary works by Swiss authors (fiction, poetry, illustration work, comics, graphic novels)
- children’s and youth literature (where they may cover part of the licensing fees in addition to the translation costs)
- theme-based publications that stimulate discourse in Switzerland on current, socially and culturally relevant topics from a contemporary perspective, and plays by Swiss dramatists (including surtitles).
Applications must be submitted to Pro Helvetia, Swiss Arts Council by the licensed publisher. Pro Helvetia accepts applications at any time, but they must be submitted at least eight weeks before a book goes to print.
Application portal: www.myprohelvetia.ch
Applications should include:
- signed copies of the licence agreement and the translation contract
- original text and its translation (at least 20 pages)
Tel: +41 44 267 71 26
Translation fees will be paid out directly to the translator by Pro Helvetia upon publication. Translation fees are based on the translation contract and calculated according to the established rates in the country in question.
Books available for funding by Pro Helvetia
About New Books in German
Find out more about our work to promote German language literature for translation into English
Find out more about how and why to submit your German language books to New Books in German
Delve into articles and interviews about books, publishers, translators, authors and the German language literary field.